COVID-19 Update: The Evanston Chamber continues to facilitate member interaction and networking through regular events. As we continue to monitor the recommended safety guidelines, events are currently in-person. Thank you.
Holding a ribbon cutting ceremony is a great way to introduce your business to the Evanston community. If you are opening a new location in Evanston, please contact the Chamber office for assistance scheduling and running the event with local officials.
Here’s how the process typically works:
- Submit your Ribbon Cutting Ceremony request using the form below.
- Requesting parties are asked to provide three dates at least one month in advance of the preferred dates.
- The Chamber will forward the three dates requested to the Alderperson of the Ward where the business is located.
- The Alderperson will reply with their availability and preferred date.
- The Chamber will forward the chosen date to the Mayor’s office to inform the Mayor of the event who may attend depending on their schedule.
- Once the date is determined, the Chamber will alert all Alderpersons, City Manager, City Economic Development staff, Downtown Evanston, Chicago North Shore Convention Bureau, Main-Dempster Mile, Central Street Merchants, and our other neighborhood groups, Evanston Chamber BOD, Evanston Chamber Ambassador committee.
- Ribbon cutting events will be posted on the Chamber’s event calendar.
- Ribbon cutting events will be announced via our weekly e-blasts that go to more than 2,100 members and subscriber, the Chamber media list—if the business wants the event to be that public—and will also go out in a special ribbon cutting only e-blast just prior to the event.
- The Chamber will attend if able, bring/or supply the scissors and the ribbon.
- We request that cuttings do not occur on Friday night or on the weekend.
- If the Chamber cannot attend, we will loan the scissors complete with a beautiful ribbon to the business.
NOTE: If the scissors are loaned, the Chamber asks that they are returned by the receiver, the next business day, to the Chamber office, 1609 Sherman Ave., Suite 205.
- If the Chamber is performing a cutting for a non-member, there is a $100 charge. Click HERE to become an Evanston Chamber Member!
- Any honors to be awarded at a Ribbon Cutting must be approved by the Chamber.
Additional Things You May Want To Consider
- Prepare and send a PDF invitation to the Chamber office that will go in the e-blast.
- Hire a photographer to take photos at your event.
- Provide light refreshments for guests.
- You may wish to prepare a short statement about your business.
- Promote your event to your contacts and media list.
Questions? Include any questions in the form below. Or, contact Evanston Chamber of Commerce staff at 847-328-1500 or email@example.com.