COVID-19 Update: The Evanston Chamber continues to facilitate member interaction and networking through regular events. Most events are currently scheduled through the Zoom video conferencing platform. We continue to monitor the safety guidelines established by our state and local government as we move toward more opportunities to gather soon.Thank you.
Holding a ribbon cutting ceremony is a great way to introduce your business to the Evanston community. If you are opening a new location in Evanston, please contact the Chamber office for assistance scheduling and running the event with local officials.
Here’s how the process typically works:
- Submit your Ribbon Cutting Ceremony request using the form below.
- Requesting parties are asked to provide three dates at least one month in advance of the preferred dates.
- The Chamber will forward the three dates requested to the Alderperson of the Ward where the business is located.
- The Alderperson will reply with their availability and preferred date.
- The Chamber will forward the chosen date to the Mayor’s office to inform the Mayor of the event who may attend depending on their schedule.
- Once the date is determined, the Chamber will alert all Alderpersons, City Manager, City Economic Development staff, Downtown Evanston, Chicago North Shore Convention Bureau, Main-Dempster Mile, Central Street Merchants, and our other neighborhood groups, Evanston Chamber BOD, Evanston Chamber Ambassador committee.
- Ribbon cutting events will be posted on the Chamber’s event calendar.
- Ribbon cutting events will be announced via our weekly e-blasts that go to more than 2,100 members and subscriber, the Chamber media list—if the business wants the event to be that public—and will also go out in a special ribbon cutting only e-blast just prior to the event.
- The Chamber will attend if able, bring/or supply the scissors and the ribbon.
- We request that cuttings do not occur on Friday night or on the weekend.
- If the Chamber cannot attend, we will loan the scissors complete with a beautiful ribbon to the business.
NOTE: If the scissors are loaned, the Chamber asks that they are returned by the receiver, the next business day, to the Chamber office, 1609 Sherman Ave., Suite 205.
- If the Chamber is performing a cutting for a non-member, there is a $100 charge. Click HERE to become an Evanston Chamber Member!
- Any honors to be awarded at a Ribbon Cutting must be approved by the Chamber.
Additional Things You May Want To Consider
- Prepare and send a PDF invitation to the Chamber office that will go in the e-blast.
- Hire a photographer to take photos at your event.
- Provide light refreshments for guests.
- You may wish to prepare a short statement about your business.
- Promote your event to your contacts and media list.